Salop & Montgomery Lunatic Asylum
The Counties Lunatic Asylum for Salop and Montgomery at Bicton
Heath, near Shrewsbury, is a building in the Elizabethan style, and was opened
in 1845, since which considerable additions have been made up to the year 1884,
at a total cost of £158,000, and the Asylum will now hold 800 patients.
The additions comprise a wing at each side, laundry, dining hall, workshops,
mortuary chapel and a lodge, from designs by the late Mr. Thomas Groves, erected
at a cost of over £70,000. 35 acres, well cultivated, are attached to the
|Arthur Strange M.D.
|Alan Rigden L.R.C.P.Lond., M.R.C.S.Eng.,
||Assistant Medical Officer
|Henry Beveridge Smith M.B., C.M.
||Assisstant Medical Officer
|Rev. John Thomas Burton Wollaston
||Clerk to the Visiting Justices
||Clerk to the Asylum
The Shropshire Records and Research Centre,
Shrewsbury SY1 2AQ
Telephone: +44 (0)1743 255350
Page updated December 19, 2006