Royal South Hampshire Infirmary
formed in 1835 as a
Voluntary Hospital. It moved sites a number of times until locating on Graham
Road, Southampton. It later became the Royal South Hampshire Hospital.
Opening of a new wing at Southampton Infirmary
The Royal South Hants Infirmary at Southampton has had a new wing erected, at the sole expense of Mrs. Eyre Crabbe. one of the lady patronesses of the institution, at an expenditure of upwards of £3,600. The committee have named it the "Eyre Crabbe Wing." It comprises two wards, each 81 ft. long by 24 ft. wide, and 13 ft. high, making up a total of 36 beds, and giving about 1,300 cubic feet of air to each patient. The wards are to be devoted specially to cases of accident, where free and pure air is specially required. The floors are of polished English oak to prevent absorption, and the walls are finished with polished Parian cement, to resist the intrusion of damp. They are ventilated on improved principles, and have been approved by Dr. Parkes, professor of hygiene at the Royal Victoria Military Hospital at Netley. The new wing was designed by Mr. Robert Critchlow, architect, and erected by Mr. Christopher Martin.
Source: The Builder 1868 Vol XXVI 068 pp 25th January 1868
Submitted by Alan Longbottom
Tel: 01962 846154
Page updated December 19, 2006