Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteErpingham
 

 

ERPINGHAM UNION 

The Old Workhouses at Gimingham & Sherringham were adopted as the Union Houses, after being altered at the cost of about 1500.They were built in 1805 & the former has room for upwards of 260, & the latter for more than 100 paupers. The aged & infirm are sent to the latter. 

The masters & matrons are Mr & Mrs Rix at Gimingham; & Mr & Mrs Bird at Sherringham. Mr J S Plumbly, of Southrepps, is union clerk; Joseph Covell of Runton is supt. registrar; & Mr C W Hotson, auditor. 7 surgeons are employed by the Union. The relieving officers are Mr H T
Murrell, of Southrepps, & Mr T Murrell, of Sustead.

Source: White Directory 1845 - p 749
Submitted by Betty Longbottom


NORTH WALSHAM 

The Workhouse, which was built in 1786, at the cost of 1100, was disused after the parish joined Erpingham Union, but it has recently been let to Mr F Deman, who has established in it a manufacture of Norfolk grown flax, in which he already employs about 50 men, boys & girls; & we trust his efforts to re-establish this important branch of native industry will not be unsuccessful.

Source: White Directory 1845 - p 487
Submitted by Betty Longbottom

Records

Records include Minutes 1836-1930, birth and death registers 1867-1933 and various committee minutes. 

Norfolk Record Office
Gildengate House
Anglia Square
Upper Green Lane
Norwich
NR3 1AX
Telephone: 01603 761349 http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/council/departments/nro/nroindex.htm 

Norfolk Record Office; Records of Poor Law
http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/council/departments/nro/nropoor.htm
 

Genuki Site of Norfolk Poor Law Unions
http://www.uea.ac.uk/~s300/genuki/NFK/norfolk/poor/unions/ 



Page updated December 19, 2006 by Rossbret