Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteWalsingham
 

 

Walsingham Union

Located in the Parish of Great Snoring  

The Union Workhouse was finished in 1838, at the cost of 5903. It has room for 300 inmates; but had only 81 in July 1841 & 169 in Jan 1845. 

Mr John Overton, of Fakenham, is the Union Clerk & Supt. Registrar; & Mr Robert Platten is master of the Workhouse. The relieving officers are Mr Henry Scales of Fakenham & Mr Thomas Webb of Wells. The Rev R Leeder is chaplain. 7 surgeons are employed by the Union.
Source: White Directory 1845 - p 669
Submitted by Betty Longbottom

Link to Photo Album for photographs of Walsingham Workhouse.

Brinton Union
A small House of Industry was erected here many years ago, under Gilbert's Act, for the paupers of the parishes of Melton Constable & Brinton, which are still incorporated, & unconnected with any Union.
Source: White Directory 1845 - p 745
Submitted by Betty Longbottom

Records

Brinton remained a Gilbert Union until the 1860's, when it was dissolved and joined Walsingham Poor Law Union.

Records for Walsingham Union include Minutes of various years, and committee minutes, and Birth and Death registers. 

Norfolk Record Office
Gildengate House
Anglia Square
Upper Green Lane
Norwich
NR3 1AX
Telephone: 01603 761349 http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/council/departments/nro/nroindex.htm 

Norfolk Record Office; Records of Poor Law
http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/council/departments/nro/nropoor.htm
 

Genuki Site of Norfolk Poor Law Unions
http://www.uea.ac.uk/~s300/genuki/NFK/norfolk/poor/unions/ 


All that's left standing of the workhouse, ruined chapel and the part of the boundary ,most of it is still standing. At one point it was renamed by an owner as Thursford Castle.It is in the village of Great Snoring.
Paul Moth



Page updated December 19, 2006 by Rossbret