Dudley Union Workhouse
Dudley Union comprises the following Parishes: Dudley, Dudley Castle Hill, Coseley,
Rowley Regis, Sedgley and Tipton
The population in 1911 was 159,203
Chairman of the Board of Guardians - Simeon Webb, 37 Burnt Tree, Tipton.
Union Offices at St James' Road, Dudley.
Clerk to the Guardians - Theodore W. Quarmby.
The Poor Law Institution at Burton Road, Sedgley, Staffordshire erected in 1859
is a structure of brick and will hold 842 inmates.
Rev A. J. Bennett B.A. - Chaplain
Samuel William Cumming - Medical Officer
Percy Hopkin - Master of Workhouse
Delsie Hopkin - Matron of Workhouse
1896 Kelly's Directory states:
Rev. Samuel Thomas Tozer (Vicar of St John's, Tipton) Chaplain.
Thomas Frederick Higgs - Medical Officer
James Jones - Master
Miss Annie Jones - Matron
Alexander Frizelle - Schoolmaster.
Children chargeable to the Dudley Union are accommodated in 3 separate Homes.
The central Home is at Dibdale House, Dibdale Road, Dudley. Mr. and Mrs J.H.
Hayward are the Superintendents.
Kelly's Directory 1921
photograph of Dudley Workhouse
Page updated December 19, 2006
Copyright © Rossbret 2001. All rights reserved.